Showing up in the same outfit as someone else is always awkward, especially if that person is Lisa Kudrow. Today’s Groupon relieves you from your sartorial struggles: for $50, you get $100 worth of clothing at Retail Therapy, a well-edited men's and women’s clothing store that's known for its plethora of women's underwear.
In high school, owner Wazhma Samizay discovered that underwear shopping could heal all kinds of traumas, such as boyfriend dumpage, father-son body switching, and TV-program cancellation. Retail Therapy was the product of that bad day, giving Capitol Hill–dwellers a comfortable "artsy friend's house" ambience where they can work through the five stages of grief: denial, Proustian reverie, the cloud stage in Super Mario Bros., a brief musical number, and new underwear. To help grieving girls reach that crucial final stage, Retail Therapy offers a diverse lingerie lineup, including Honey Dew, Hanky Panky, and Felina ($16–$32). Lucky magazine considers it the best undie selection in Capitol Hill.
Underwear is only the beginning of the healing process. Shoppers can move on to Hello Skinny jeans ($188), Skunk Funk ($40 to $100), and Jessica Biel's favorite finery linery, Bilingual (sexy silk dresses in the $200 range). A trip to Retail Therapy also includes art therapy (with an ever-changing gallery of independent local artists), aromatherapy (Tokyo Milk candles from $18 to $23), and a wide variety of accessories such as jewelry and scarves. For more serious traumas such as birthdays and impending nuptials, Retail Therapy will arrange emergency Girls' Nights, where afflicted women, brides, and bachelorettes can gather to chat, eat, play dress-up, and get massages.
Retail Therapy is a great way to cope with the pressures of the upcoming holiday season and your annual family wrestling tournament. Treat yourself to a mini-shopping spree or knock out a portion of your extensive shopping list.
- This review comes with a dare: Just try to leave empty handed. – I-Wei F., Yelp
- With constantly revolving stock you'll find something new every time you go in. Great for last minute gifts and the best underwear selection on Capital Hill. – gabec, Citysearch
- Yup, this is the place I head to when I'm feeling a little off...There are a couple of items here that I keep coming back for since I can't find them anywhere else... – all-i s., Yelp
Retail Dares for Extreme Shoppers
One Yelper’s review of Retail Therapy states “This review comes with a dare: Just try to leave empty handed.” Here are other retail dares for you to try in your favorite shop when you’re feeling adventurous:
- Stand on a table, yell, “Crowd surf!” and jump into a bunch of mannequins.
- Walk right up to the cute guy at the counter and tell him how you feel, which is that the The Flintstones started going downhill when they added that alien character.
- Try to pay with an expired library card.
- Offer the woman at the gift-wrap counter $1,000 to come to your house and break a bunch of your plates.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.