Before watches, people used primitive time-telling methods, such as monitoring the tides or measuring the shadow of a clock tower. Stay up-to-date with this Groupon.
- $12 for four museum admissions ($24 value)
- See the museum hours for daily availability
Timexpo: The Timex Museum
Timexpo: Inside a brass mill built in 1854, the Timex Museum traces the story of the famous watch brand and its impact on modern timekeeping, starting from its inception as Waterbury Clock Company in 1854. Here, visitors learn about the heritage of Timex through modern and interactive exhibits and discover how the watch company turned Waterbury into a landmark.
- Size: three floors of time-related exhibits
- Eye Catcher: a vast collection of clocks and pocket watches, all manufactured in Waterbury since the mid-1800s, when everyone stopped wearing their wall clocks on neck chains
- Permanent Mainstay: an exhibit focusing on the ever-popular vintage Timex torture-test ads and their famous slogan "Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'"
- Don't Miss: though seemingly unrelated to timepieces, the Time Tunnel archaeology exhibit is based on discoveries of explorer Thor Heyerdahl, who found interesting and peculiar connections between seemingly disparate cultures
- Hidden Gem: the company's iconic Mickey Mouse watches are highlighted in their own exhibit
- Hands-On Experiments: guests can decorate and assemble a working clock or participate in an assembly line and create a paper wristwatch
- Pro Tip: at the museum store, you can not only buy Timex watches, but also get your watch battery or strap replaced
- While You’re in the Neighborhood: the American Clock & Watch Museum in nearby Bristol also keeps a collection of pieces from Waterbury Clock Company
“It's not terribly big, but the staff is friendly. Not crowded. Spent about 2.5 hours there with our sons (ages 5 and 9) and we all had a fun time. Great history and...”
“It's not terribly big, but the staff is friendly. Not crowded. Spent about 2.5 hours there with our sons (ages 5 and 9) and we all had a fun time. Great history and amazing gift shop... Great deals on timex watches... Something for every age and price point.”