This deal is sold out. Click here to buy another deal, $4 for General Admission to the Washington State History Museum ($8 Value).
A tortilla makes a handy mouse pad, an acceptable patch for stiff denim jeans, and, if you draw a face on it, an ideal companion on fishing trips. But there are many other uses for it, as today's Groupon proves: for $20, you get $40 worth of creative cocktails and contemporary Mexican cuisine at Barrio’s elegant Capitol Hill and Bellevue eateries.
Barrio boasts an extensive menu of contemporary Mexican-inspired fare for brunch, lunch, and dinner, as well as a kids' menu. A midday meal at the stylish eatery offers pared-down versions of the dinner menu's fresh south-borderly flavors. An al pastor torta, loaded with marinated pork loin, sweet carmelized pineapple, fresh veggies, and habanero aioli ($11) complements a jug of Barrio's fresh, seasonal agua fresca ($5). When evening descends over the city and hunger rumbles in your belly, mute the rumbling with a ceviche and crudo sampler ($14) before silencing it completely with the braised short ribs, served with roasted asparagus, poblano chiles, and caramelized onions ($17). Herbivores take heart in the trio of asparagus and drunken-bean tacos loaded with corn, crema, and red-pepper rajas ($13).
Both of the sultry eateries smolder with massive candle walls and gleam with mosaic-tiled bars in their dimly lit, modern dining rooms. Barrio's Latin-inspired cocktails are expertly mixed with housemade syrups and bitters; down a vintagey pisco sour (a foamy mix of brandy, clover honey, fresh citrus, bitters, and egg whites, $10) or embark on a three-drink tequila flight ($17+) served with red and green sangrita.
Barrio has received ample coverage from the local media since its 2008 opening. It received an excellent review from the Seattle Post-Intelligencer as well as three separate write-ups by the Seattle Times. More than 180 Yelpers give the Capitol Hill location 3.5 stars and OpenTable diners give it four stars. TripAdvisors award Barrio Capitol Hill four owl-eyes and 75% of more than 300 Urbanspooners recommend it. Yelpers also give the Bellevue location 3.5 stars, and nearly 140 OpenTable diners give it four stars.
- Barrio blends ancient and modern to stunning effect. – Providence Cicero, Seattle Times
- Instead of a margarita, try its Sangre de Agave, with Bermuda dark rum, tequila, cassis and lime juice; or the Corpse Reviver #2, with London Dry gin, cointreau, lemon, Lillet Blanc and absinthe. – Tan Vinh, Seattle Times
- Great service, drink menu rocked and food was Delicious [sic]. – Marisa O., Yelp
- Finally- a family friendly restaurant with incredible food that is also affordable…Bellevue whould be an even great [sic] town if we had more places like Barrio. – OpenTable reviewer who dined on 03/27/2010
- Great atmosphere, private and comfy booths, nice lighting, good menu, and even better service. – Robyn P., Yelp