From Our Editors
Five Things You Should Know About Five
New American isn't very new nowadays, yet Five still manages to set itself apart by emphasizing West Coast ingredients and Californian cooking techniques in its humble dishes. Take, for instance, the latkes (profiled in Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine) and churros (the restaurant sprinkles them with dehydrated housemade chorizo), just to name a couple of the restaurant’s standouts. Here are a few things to know before you go:
- It’s located inside the Hotel Shattuck Plaza.
- Like Malibu Barbie, it's cuisine is all-American with a California twist. Specialties include truffled goat-cheese ravioli, roasted-gold-beet and green-apple salads, and pan-seared scallops.
- It pours local, boutique wines. Unusual blends and varietals and organic and biodynamic vinos from West Coast wineries make up a majority of the menu.
- No lions were harmed in the making of the Lion's Tail cocktail. The drink—named in allusion to a London hotel—combines bourbon, lime, allspice dram, and bitters.
- The angel-food cake is practically a religious experience. The chefs pump the light and fluffy dessert with harissa-coffee buttercream and cover it in chocolate, pomegranate crème anglaise, and date gelato.