From Our Editors
Marc 49: A User’s Guide
- Appetizer: bacon deviled eggs with herbed crumbs and cornichons
- Entree: lamb moussaka with a parmesan-potato crust
- Cocktail: the French Imperialist with Hendrick's gin, Lillet Blanc, grapefruit-rose liqueur, hibiscus syrup, and rose water
Where to Sit: The back patio is popular thanks to ample heaters that help keep the space cozy. The decor is nothing to scoff at either, with modern wood tables and chairs echoing the wood-paneled walls, some of which are decorated with colorful murals.
When to Go: Try Marc 49 during happy hour (weekdays from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. to close) for discounted sangria, wine, cocktails, beer, and upscale bar bites.
- Come thirsty for Sunday brunch (11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.), which features bacon-garnished bloody marys and bottomless mimosas.
- Oysters are a buck apiece every Wednesday and Sunday.
Moussaka: a Greek casserole that’s typically layered with lamb and eggplant and topped with béchamel sauce.
While You’re in the Neighborhood: Pick up an all-natural remedy for a common cold or a severe case of mortality at Homestead Apothecary (486 49th Street), a boutique herb shop specializing in tinctures, teas, and essential oils.