From Our Editors
Lam Hoa Thuan Restaurant: A User’s Guide
Chinese Meats by the Pound | Roast Duck Heaven | Pho and Vermicelli | Fresh Soymilk | Good for Groups
- Appetizer: crispy shrimp cake
- Entree: roast duck over rice
- To drink: fresh, housemade soymilk served warm or cold
- Big groups can usually be accommodated; conversely, parties of one or two might be assigned to a communal table, so come prepared to meet new friends.
- Servers stay on the move to speed food out of the kitchen, so don’t be afraid to flag someone down if you need something extra mid-meal.
- Bring cash—cards aren’t accepted.
When to Go: If you’re in a hurry for meats by the pound, avoid weekend afternoons. Your best bet is early on a weekday, when you’ll get plenty of selection with shorter lines.
While You’re in the Neighborhood
Before: Scope out rare Asian and Middle Eastern groceries at 22nd & Irving Market (2101 Irving Street).
After: Keep the cheerful communal vibe going with a drink at Durty Nelly’s (2328 Irving Street), a cozy neighborhood pub.