From Our Editors
In Focus: Verdi Club
- Established: 1916
- Neighborhood: Mission District
- The venue’s origins: an Italian-American social club
- What goes on here now: weddings, conferences, concerts, and the San Francisco Shakespeare Festival gala
- The food: Chef Sean Gawel whips up a diverse menu that includes soup shooters, bacon-wrapped pork loin, and tiramisu.
- Capacity: 299 people without dining or 185 with dining, plus all the imaginary friends you can dream up
- Ceiling height: 18 feet—that's 0.00062% the height of Mount Everest
- Wheelchair accessibility: There's an accessible washroom on the first floor, but there are four steps up to the club's entrance.