From Our Editors
Ivar’s Acres of Clams: A User’s Guide
- Soup: cup of Ivan’s Famous Northwest-style white clam chowder with bacon
- Entree: half-pound of red king crab legs, served with drawn butter and roasted baby Yukon potatoes
- Dessert: crème brûlée, served with a raspberry-hazelnut cookie
Where to Sit: Snag a seat by the windows, where you’ll enjoy stunning views of Puget Sound, as well as Washington State ferries.
When to Go: Happy hour starts at 3 p.m. and runs until the restaurant closes. A hefty number of appetizers, entrees, and specialty cocktails are discounted, and well drinks, drafts, and select wines are priced at $4.
- If you want to turn Ivan’s Famous Clam Chowder into a meal, order it in a sourdough bread bowl.
- The kids’ menu is nothing to scoff at. In addition to listing off the classics (grilled cheese, chicken strips, and cheeseburgers), it also features shrimp scampi, grilled salmon, and a kid-size portion of fish ‘n chips.
- Wine is half-price all day Monday and Tuesday.
- The Fish Bar out front serves takeout seafood until 11 p.m..
While You’re in the Neighborhood: If you have some extra time after your meal, take the Bremerton Ferry—which departs at Pier 52—across Puget Sound to Bainbridge Island.