About this Business
- HoursSun10:00 AM - 5:00 PMMonClosedTue-Sat10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
From Our Editors
Six Things to Know About Washington State History Museum
In 1891, the Washington State Historical Society was established with a noble and rather lofty mission: to collect, preserve, and later present the state's vast history. Today, there is perhaps no better proof of the society’s original concept than the Washington State History Museum. Here are a few things to know before stepping back in time:
- It takes approximately two hours to time travel. That’s the suggested allotment for the signature Hall of Washington History exhibit, which consists of interactive elements and walk-through dioramas that chart different eras in the state’s past.
- The museum is overrun with ghosts. Well, not quite. They’re actually actors participating in the museum’s Ghosts of the Great Hall program, which brings real characters to life from defining moments in the state’s past.
- Students can solve a mystery. The onsite History Lab challenges teams to think like historians and solve a riddle from the past.
Some things don’t last forever. Check to see which exhibits end soon, and which ones will soon arrive.
- Visitors can grab a bite between exhibits. Located right next to the museum, Anthem Coffee & Tea keeps visitors fueled for learning with pastries, sandwiches, and plenty of espresso.
- On certain days, your money is no good here. Admission is zero dollars from 2–8 p.m. on the third Thursday of every month.
Help us improve this page
See something wrong?