Eating international fare locally eliminates the woes associated with transatlantic travel, such as jet lag and oar splinters. Stamp your palate’s passport with today’s Groupon to Calypso Caribbean Grille in West Mifflin. Choose between the following options:
- For $17, you get a Caribbean dinner for two (up to a $34.90 value). The dinner includes the following:
- Two main dishes (up to a $14.95 value each)
- Two desserts (up to a $2.50 value each)<p>
- For $33, you get a Caribbean dinner for four (up to a $69.80 value). The dinner includes the following:
- Four main dishes (up to a $14.95 value each)
- Four desserts (up to a $2.50 value each)
Within blanched yellow walls that exhibit vibrant photographs of beach scenes, Calypso Caribbean Grille’s chefs season heaping dishes of lamb and steak with island spices to forge a menu of southern Caribbean fare. Plunge forks or tabletop bulldozers into a plate of oxtail or lamb stew, whose meaty morsels laze on a bed of rice beneath a sauce that the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette describes as “sweet but with just enough warming heat for a chilly afternoon.” Fresh pieces of poultry bask in fiery spices to forge jerk chicken, and a diverse array of side dishes, such as tropical mandarin salad and fried plantains, extinguishes itinerant mouth fires more effectively than a 300 psi hydrant-fueled drinking fountain. Diners can then crown tableside achievements with slices of cake or scoops of hand-dipped ice cream.