Today's Groupon gets you $75 worth of American cuisine for $35 at Crofton on Wells, "one of Chicago’s finest dining experiences," according to the Chicago Tribune. Zagat gives the restaurant's sophisticated New American cookery an excellent for food and service, the décor a very good, and the staff's ability to sense your order ahead of time a scarily accurate.
Crofton's seasonally inspired menu combines American ingenuity with classic French techniques. Current offerings include heirloom pork tenderloin (with Crofton's signature smoked apple chutney), Amish chicken (made with spicy herb and chipotle, Yukon gold mashed potatoes, and a molasses reduction), diver scallops, and Great Lakes whitefish. Regulars rave about the signature crab cake, and the Chicago Tribune recommends the curried lentils with ginger crème fraiche. Crofton on Wells has a separate vegetarian menu, and several of the regular menu items can be made completely vegan with a patented process devised by Tony Shalhoub.
Chef and owner Suzy Crofton is a culinary connoisseur who spent 16 years training in French restaurants, and cooked at Cassis and Montparnasse before opening Crofton on Wells. Now more than 10 years old, Crofton is still a stately place to dine in style. Crofton herself chose the contemporary china, dove-gray linens, Riedel stemware, and subtle brushed aluminum accents that make the restaurant an elegant place to eat. She also creates and maintains the more than 150 tantalizing types of fermented grapes on the wine list.
- Ten years after its December 1997 opening, Suzy Crofton’s restaurant in River North has quietly become one of Chicago’s finest dining experiences, combining a handsome and quiet dining room with similarly understated but excellent cuisine from the chef and owner. Crofton’s seasonal American cooking is laden with comfort-food ingredients and a smattering of wild game, with the occasional spicy accent. Laid-back enough for a casual get-together and sophisticated enough for dress-up, Crofton’s satisfies on every possible level. – Phil Vettel, Chicago Tribune
- The menu is American to the core and though brief in choices bristles with style. Working with just eight entrees, Ms. Crofton weaves a rich and colorful culinary tapestry of fish, fowl, game and beef. A daily special or two complete the adornment. – Pat Bruno, Chicago Sun-Times
- Suzy Crofton, chef and owner of Crofton on Wells, has plenty to boast about. Her River North restaurant was named one of the city's finest by Chicago Magazine and voted "Chicago's #1 American Regional restaurant" by Zagat's. As if that isn't enough, the restaurant's tranquil atmosphere, supported by light grey walls, candlelight and an intimate dining room that seats about 60, earned it a mention on a Chicago Tribune's "top five places to propose" list. – Centerstage Chicago
- The food never disappoints. The ambiance and service are understated, elegant, unfussy, and very comfortable... it IS taking obvious pride in serving delicious and special food in a relaxed but elegant way. – GeneC3920, Zagat
- This restaurant offers fine, fresh, high quality, creative food. – Joel K., Yelp
- Crofton on Wells was by far one of the best dining experiences I have had in Chicago in a long time. – sunshinefoodie, Citysearch
Propose With Groupon’s Help
Crofton on Wells was named one of the top places to propose by the Chicago Tribune. Proposing in public can be a nerve-wracking ordeal because you’re faced with the possibility of public rejection and humiliation. Groupon eradicates proposal fears with our official Groupon Official Interest-Gauging Marriage Solicitation. Just print and deliver it to your beloved with a self-addressed, stamped envelope, and wait 3–5 business days for the happiest moment of your life. Congratulations!
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
Near North Side
535 N Wells St
Chicago, Illinois 60654Get Directions