What You'll Get
Plan Your Free Outing
- Ages: All
- Location: The Museum of Science + Industry
- Time: 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Days: January 10–12, 16–19, 24–26, 31; February 1–2, 7–9, 14–16, 21–23, 28: June 5–9, 12; September 5–8, 11–15, 18–22, 25–29; October 2–5
- Good to Know: Grab a bite to eat before or after at one of Pilsen’s great Mexican restaurants, such as Time Out favorite Birrieria Reyes de Ocotlan.
Free Event: Free Days at The Museum of Science + Industry
The interactive Coal Mine experience has been one of the Museum of Science and Industry’s favorite attractions since the Museum’s first guests arrived in 1933. Now one of the largest science museums in the world, that exhibit is just one of many permanent and rotating attractions designed to inspire the inventive genius in everyone.
- Size: the largest science museum in the Western Hemisphere, with more than 14 acres filled with interactive science exhibits and home to more than 35,000 artifacts
- Eye Catcher: Science Storms, in which swirling air and vapor transform into a 40-foot indoor tornado and six other natural phenomena come to life
- Permanent Mainstay: U-505, a real WWII-era German sub
- Don’t Miss: the cloned mice and baby chicks (which hatch each day) inside the Genetics exhibit
- Hidden Gem: catch a whisper from across the room in the Whispering Gallery
- Play: Mindball, a game won by controlling brainwaves, in YOU! The Experience
- The Building: The Museum occupies the last remaining building from the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition
- Explore: the giant Mirror Maze in the Numbers in Nature exhibit
- Special Features: in-depth tours, science clubs for students, movies inside a five-story, domed, wrap-around theater, workshops, member-exclusive events, and more
Thanks to the Illinois General Assembly many museums are mandated by law to offer Illinois residents up to 52 free museum days each year. Some museums are free year round. Others offer free evenings. A valid ID with an Illinois address is required for these special admission prices.
The Fine Print
We is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or a sponsor of this event. This is for informational purposes only. Event info is subject to change. Check with event host for most current info. This is a free event.