Dancers pair with a DJ and electric violinist to put an explosive hip-hop spin on this holiday classic; hip-hop pioneer Kurtis Blow emcees
What You'll Get
- Seating: 200- or 300-level
- Click here to view the seating chart
- Must purchase tickets in the same transaction to sit together
How This Ticket Works: Following purchase, your ticket will be in your account. You may redeem it via the mobile app when you enter the venue or print it out in advance. Use this to enter the venue directly; you won’t need to redeem at will call. Discount reflects the merchant’s current ticket prices - price may differ on day of event.
Hip Hop Nutcracker
- A Holiday Mashup: The Nutcracker is an undeniable holiday classic. But choreographer Jennifer Weber recognizes that not everyone digs ballet. The solution? Mix the iconic pieces of the story and Tchaikovsky’s score (with a twist) to explosive hip-hop dance.
- The Pieces: A cast of all-star dancers, DJ, and violinist transport the score and story with a contemporary flavor. Weber, artistic director of the Brooklyn-based all-female hip-hop crew Decadancetheatre, directs and choreographs the show. Mike Fitelson, executive director of United Palace of Cultural Arts (UPCA), adapts the show to New York. DJ Boo adds hip-hop interludes and an electric violinist also provides on-stage tunes.
- The Story: After Drosselmeyer casts a spell, Maria Clara and the Nutcracker prince find themselves back in time at the nightclub where Maria Clara’s parents met. The story takes place in Brooklyn during the ’80s and celebrates themes of love and community during New Year’s Eve.
- Special Guest MC: Kurtis Blow, the hip-hop pioneer whose massive hit, “The Breaks,” was the first rap single to go gold. “Christmas Rappin’,” “Party Time,” and the bouncy “Basketball” followed suit, helping to set the rap template for the burgeoning genre.
The Fine Print
Final sale, subject to Extraordinary Event Policy. Limit 8/person, subject to ticket availability. Expiration varies depending on the event date. Valid only for date and time selected. Valid only for option purchased. Must purchase tickets in the same transaction to sit together. AXS is issuer of tickets - discount reflects current ticket prices, which may change. ADA seating cannot be guaranteed; contact box office prior to purchase for availability. Ticket value includes all fees. Non-transferable. Ticket must be used and expires on date of event for option purchased. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services. Offer is not eligible for our promo codes or other discounts.