International menus expose the palate to new flavors, unique textures, and unexpected umlauts. Sound out savory selections with today’s Groupon to Island Soul Restaurant in Newark. Choose between the following options:
- For $16, you get a Caribbean and soul food meal for two (a $35 value) that includes the following:
- One appetizer (a $5 value)
- Two entrees (a $10 value each)
- Two orders of punch (a $5 value each)<p>
- For $29, you get a Caribbean and soul food meal for four (a $70 value) that includes the following:
- Two appetizers (a $5 value each)
- Four entrees (a $10 value each)
- Four orders of punch (a $5 value each)
Island Soul Restaurant’s ingredient sculptors cook up authentic recipes from the West Indies and American South to create a concise menu of Caribbean and soul food dishes. Dining duos or quartets can propel human food processors with a starter of fresh seafood chowder before ordering up a protein-packed entree such as Grandma’s southern-style fried chicken or curry-coconut chicken simmered with vegetables. Each main dish wields an entourage of two sides, such as collard greens, candied yams, and shrimp macaroni salad, to make stomachs so full that other meals need to book space a month in advance. Slowly baked turkey wings glisten atop pristine white plates, and Island Soul Restaurant’s desserts, such as a warm brownie sundae topped with vanilla ice cream and fudge, quiet bellowing sweet teeth without the use of a soundproof mouth guard.
After patrons saunter through the restaurant’s brick exterior, a spacious, tropical dining room bedecked with vibrant yellow walls and mosaic-tile accents greets them. Enticing smells waft beneath ceiling fans and past plush red benches on their way to tickle guests’ noses on the open outdoor patio. Island Soul keeps mouths happy and minds entertained with regular live music, limited WiFi, and hourly soap opera reenactments by the friendly wait staff.
Newark, New Jersey 07104