Today's deal gives you a chance to sample Tampa's Best Coffee Drink, according to Creative Loafing, and a host of other delectable drinks and eats. This ragin’ Cajun Groupon gets you $20 worth of food and drink at NOLA Cafe for $10, allowing you to chow down on authentic N’awlins grub for half the price.
That drink among drinks, by the way, is the cafe au lait, which blends bitter, earthy chicory, hot milk, and a little cream and sugar into one seamless straight-outta-Bourbon-Street concoction ($3.65 for a 20-ounce). You can order it dark or au lait, but Creative Loafing suggests you get it iced, not frozen. Other Big Easy sippables include the Dr. John (dark chocolate and blackberry latte, $4.05 for a 20-ounce), the iced mint julep ($3.95 for a 20-ounce), and the decadent cafe royal (chicory coffee, Smooth Love, and one of the cafe's special flavors topped with whipped cream, $4.35 for a 20-ounce). Whatever you get, it won’t be an honest Creole breakfast unless you order a few powdered beignets (French doughnuts, $2.55 for three) to go with it.
NOLA's menu keeps your tongue lost in the French Quarter with Louisiana faves such as crawfish etouffee (tails smothered in spicy vegetables and Creole seasonings, $12.75), smoky chicken & andouille gumbo ($9.75), and jambalaya ($8.75). Start things off with a little corn & crab bisque ($4.99) or Creole turtle soup au sherry ($6.99). You'll find the food pairs best with whatever you care to bring: NOLA is BYOB. ($5 corkage fee).
Beyond its voodoo dolls, Dixieland jazz, and antique furniture, NOLA's authenticity comes from its clientele. NOLA is a popular meeting place for expats in the Tampa Bay area who have been displaced by Hurricane Katrina, so don't be surprised if you hear a true swamp-molasses N'awlins drawl filling the air with wistful, nostalgic memories of the Big Easy. Relive the Mardi Gras memories when you didn’t black out, or discover your hidden Creole roots, and get your krewe in on this Groupon.
Creative Loafing gave NOLA a rave review:
- A little slice of Café du Monde-style heaven right on the west bank of downtown Tampa, the NOLA serves chicory-laced café au lait and hot, crunchy-chewy beignets while New Orleans jazz plays in the background. – Brian Ries and Wayne Garcia, Creative Loafing
- I'm originally from New Orleans, and although I love Tampa, I really miss the food you can only find at home. Thank God for NOLA cafe! I've been a customer since their opening days and have never been disappointed. Whether its [sic] my morning cafe au lait, turtle soup for lunch or beignets for a fun snack, the food is always excellent because its [sic] just like home. – nchopin, Citysearch
- I'd call it authentic, but I don't feel that does it justice. This place IS New Orleans. The Big Easy is more than just food, it's a way of life. Louis has done a perfect job of capturing the atmosphere, music, lagniappe, decor and cuisine...the literal essence of New Orleans and he transplanted it smack dab in the middle of Tampa...Laissez le bon temps rouler! – TampaCoolie, TripAdvisor
NOLA Cafe is BYOB, sometimes used as an initialism for Bring Your Own Bottle, but much more memorable as the mnemonic device for Bears, Yaks, Ocelots, and Babies, the four most poisonous creatures known to man. What other handy mnemonics can help you pass the big exam, marry James, or even save your life?
- The order of mathematical operations can be remembered as Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally, short for parentheses, exponentials, multiplication, desperation, anxiety, and stalemate.
- Learning music? Don’t bother! All you need to know about the musical scales is Even Aunt Sally Knows Good Boys Deserve Fudge, to remember the notes, E, A, Silent-F, K, G, B-minor, D-proper and F-sharp De-luxe.
- The planets of the solar system can be remembered as My Very Earnest Aunt Sally Served Us Nine Delicious Yogurts, better known as Mars, Venus, Earth, Atlantis, Saturn, Supersaturn, Uranus, Neptune, Doopiter, and the feared and dreaded Yuggoth, outer outpost of the elder gods who will one day dispose of our galaxy as if it were dust swept from a bookshelf.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
301 W Platt St
Tampa, Florida 33606Get Directions