Choose from Five Options
- $13 for two burgers and two domestic beers for two, valid Sunday–Thursday ($30 value)
- $15 for two burgers and two domestic beers for two, valid any day ($30 value)
- $26 for four burgers and four domestic beers for four, valid Sunday–Thursday ($60 value)
- $30 for four burgers and four domestic beers for four, valid any day ($60 value)
- $11 for $25 worth of food
In June 1923, Joseph Nugent, Sr. purchased the Highway Restaurant on 844 Newark Ave. At that time, the building was a converted two-story family house, with living quarters on the second floor and a restaurant on the first. It was a fitting history for a place that quickly became a home away from home for many customers, especially for factory workers at the Durant Motor Company. Miraculously, it remained that way, even through prohibition, and remained a favorite watering hole for workers who joined the war effort and flocked to the town's factories in the 1940s.
With that storied history as its foundation, the modern-day Nugent's marches forward, retaining much of its old-school charm—and gaining one massive whiskey collection. In fact, customers can choose from all different kinds of Irish, American, and Canadian whiskeys, plus a few mixed whiskeys, too. Meanwhile, the food menu is packed with hearty meals that would do the factory workers of yesteryear proud, including 10-ounce all-beef burgers, Irish bangers with mashed potatoes, and Irish pancakes served with Guinness beef stew.