|_Jump to: Details||Reviews_|
With Irish pubs popping up left and right (there are currently 6.9 Irish pubs per citizen), it’s becoming increasingly difficult for Ireland to inspect each pub and authenticate its Irishness. The process is tedious: authentic Irish people are shipped across the Atlantic on an Irish ferry, then endure a grueling one-month pub-inspection class before inspecting an Irish pub using the following criteria:
- Can happy hour be happier? Or worse, is happy hour too happy?
- Does the bartender properly pour Guinness by allowing it to cascade off his bare chest into a glass?
- Are the tables and chairs made of Irish oak trees that were cut down with Irish machetes?
Many inauthentic Irish pubs fail this intensive certification, but Oldcastle Pub & Restaurant easily passed, thanks to its tasty Irish food, bevy of beer options, and a happy hour that has just the right amount of happiness.
With today’s Groupon, $15 gets you $30 worth of Irish food and drink at Oldcastle Pub & Restaurant, located at 160 W. 54th St. in Midtown. That’s half off at the perfect place for happy hour with friends and coworkers!
Oldcastle, named after an Irish village where one of the owners grew into an Irish man, brings classic Irish grub to the United States. Try the corned beef reuben (open-face on rye with sauerkraut and a house sauce), Gaelic steak (New York strip with an Irish-whiskey cream sauce), and the Irish breakfast (bangers, rashers, black and white pudding, grilled tomato, and more) for dinner or lunch. Pair your dish with one of the many beers they have on tap. Not into Irish food? Oldcastle also serves typical anti-Irish pub grub, such as nachos, fried garlic mushrooms, and chicken quesadillas cooked over the flames of a burning leprechaun.
You’ll likely run into everyone you’ve met in your entire life celebrating the end of the work day at Oldcastle—the quintessential place to throw back a few with friends.
Yelpers give Oldcastle Pub three stars, the folks at TripAdvisor give it a 3.5, as do Citysearchers. Read what they say about the solid service, great sports-watching atmosphere, and wide selection of beers:
- “It’s a good place to watch sports. There were several large televisions and I was watching Spanish League soccer as well as Irish Rugby. You can’t do THAT in a lot of places! The bartender was gregarious and quick with a pint… It’s a nice place to grab a few pints & watch some soccer if you’re in the area and need a place to sit for a while.” – Daniel C., Yelp
- “There was a group of five of us, we were greeted by a very friendly hostess and seated immediately. Wait staff were promt [sic] and friendly and food was excellent. I have recommened [sic] the old castle to various friends visiting nyc and would definately [sic] go back again.” – hylander, Citysearch
- “Great place for traditional favorites like bangers and mash. Bangers and mash is different from most American sausage dishes. The sausages are served with a mushroom and onion gravy, and are served on top of mashed potatoes. It’s Dennis Miller’s favorite dish. – Unohu, TripAdvisor
160 W 54th St
New York, New York 10019Get Directions