Knowledge accrued during school is rarely applicable to real life—quadratic formulas can't be eaten, and the War of 1812, while delicious, takes too long to prepare. Get some education of edible value with today's Groupon for a cooking class at Old Town Cooking School, located in Pasadena. Old Town Cooking School shares the skills of cooking through a number of classes, ideal for that rare person who wasn't born with forks and knives for fingers. Choose one of the following options:
- For $35, two people get admission to a cooking class (up to a $70 value).
- For $39, one person gets admission to a gourmet demonstration class (a $70 value).
- For $50, one person gets admission to a cooking boot camp class (a $100 value).
During a techniques class, you and another person will have the rare opportunity to observe a chef in its natural environment as the culinary wizard offers a demonstration on a given subject. Each class concludes with a small tasting at the end, offering a response to the puddles of mouth-water that will have gathered on the floor by that time. Upcoming mini-skills class topics include breakfast and brunch cooking on January 16, which equips minds for skillful sizzling in groggy a.m. states; vegetarian cuisine prep on February 20, to help milk maximum flavors from greens and grains; and knife skills for beginners on March 6, with valuable tips to avoid accidental digit julienning. This option is only valid for techniques classes valued at $27.50 per person in December and techniques classes valued at $35 per person from January and on.
In the A Flight and a Fork demonstration class, students will observe a more in-depth exploration on particular cooking topics, complete with handbooks filled with recipes and techniques distributed to the observers. At class's end, a full meal showcasing the teachings will be served buffet style, with wine or cocktails included. Upcoming demonstration classes include a Tuscan class on January 6, with instructions for preparing home-style meals from central Italy; an introduction to African cuisine on February 17 for chefs looking to add Serengeti seasoning to their repertoire; and a New Orleans–style cooking course on March 3 for whipping up Mardi Gras munchables.
Boot camps provide a one-day comestible crash course to educate new cooks and help veteran foodsmiths polish their skills to an illustrious shine. Courses currently scheduled on January 30, February 27, and March 27 cover knife skills, utensil selection, cooking methods, and digestion, and baking boot camps set for January 22, February 19, and March 19 offer aspiring oven-minders an opportunity to learn fundamental techniques and shortcuts. Class sizes are limited, so use the school's website to keep up-to-date on newly scheduled classes.
- From rule, recipe, fancy and whim — down-home and uptown the world over — complete courses in alimentary geography are laid out in linen at Pasadena’s Old Town Cooking School. – Dan O'Heron, Pasadena Weekly
- The price was reasonable, the environment was picturesque, and the company relaxing and enjoyable. I'm already trying to figure out which class I'm going to take next. Absolutely fantastic! – Juli K., Yelp
177 S Arroyo Blvd.
Pasadena, California 91105Get Directions