Choose Between Two Options
- $24 for a chicken and beef combination platter with three sides for two
- $19 for a vegetarian combination platter with three sides for two
The meat combination platter includes doro wat or doro alicha with sega wat or zilzil alicha, and the vegetarian combination platter is composed of vegetarian entrees. See the menu.
Ras Dashen Ethiopian Restaurant
Growing up in the shadow of Ras Dashen—Ethiopia's tallest mountain—Zenash Beyene spent her childhood grinding teff and coffee, preparing wats, and learning the best ways to use her mother's collection of spices. By aged 10, Zenash was adeptly cooking family feasts. In the years since, she left her family's kitchen to open Ras Dashen Ethiopian Restaurant, where she works as the chef.
From the Press
- Named one of the top five Ethiopian restaurants in Chicago by WBEZ
- "We’ve enjoyed the stewlike meats at other Ethiopian restaurants, but here grilled meats stand out: lamb seared to scrumptious caramelization, fish crusted with light coconutty char, and beef dressed with piquant berbere sauce." — Chicago Reader
- "To get the real Ethiopian experience, though, you want something that says 'berbere' in the description. Ras Dashen's take on the traditional chili, ginger, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, fenugreek, et al. spice mix is warm, aromatic, rich, and spicy, and could make cardboard taste amazing." — Serious Eats
Skip the Silverware
Fingers work better than forks at Ras Dashen Ethiopian Restaurant. Instead of utensils, tables receive sides of injera: spongy flatbread made from teff, an Ethiopian cereal grass. Diners tear off small pieces of injera and dip them in stewed meats and vegetables heaped atop communal platters. The flatbread's natural tang complements the bold spice of dishes such as chicken and egg simmered in berbere sauce and pan-seared tilapia with ginger and black pepper.
Groupon has partnered with the Edgewater Chamber of Commerce to offer this special collection from Edgewater merchants. The North Side neighborhood is home to one-of-a-kind shops such as Edgewater Workbench, where customers create custom gifts with 3D printing and laser cutting, and pioneering restaurants such as Uncommon Ground, home of the country’s first certified organic rooftop garden. Shop the full collection.