To make un-fine wine, simply place grapes beneath a silk pillow, repeatedly mash your head against it, and then wring the pillowcase into a nearby mouth. Taste traditionally produced fine wines with today's Groupon: a two-hour wine, beer, or spirits tasting at Ray's Wine & Spirits in Wauwatosa. Choose from one of three options:
- For $25, you get two seats at any tasting worth $25 per seat (a $50 value).
- For $20, you get two seats at any tasting worth $20 per seat (a $40 value).
- For $15, you get two seats at any tasting worth $15 per seat (a $30 value).
The tastings at Ray's Wine & Spirits invite alcohol enthusiasts to sample the world's most exquisite beverages and rub elbows with the people who produce them. Wine aficionados can aficionadify their palates by tasting Concha Y Toro's legendary Terrunyo Sauvignon Blanc and chatting with its creator, Enrique Tirado, during the Don Melchor tasting (Wednesday, September 8 at 6:30 p.m., $20/person). For brewsky buffs, the Sam Adams tasting (Tuesday, September 28 at 6:30 p.m., $15/person) with Brewmaster Andrew Lamont offers an in-depth look at the Boston brewery's Winter Lager, American Rye Ale, new Imperial White, and more. Justify sewing French flags onto the backs of British children’s jackets at the Tour of Burgundy tasting (Wednesday, September 29 at 6:30 p.m., $25/person), which will showcase the vino of Nicolas Potel and allow fermentation fanciers to inspect varieties including Volnay, Gevrey Chambertin, and the $129.99-a-bottle Grand Cru, Echezeaux. Regularly check Ray's schedule for a monthly listing of tempting tastings.
Located above the store, Ray's Tasting Room and Educational Center is a pleasing, well-kept space that makes it easy to focus on discerning hints of raspberry, walnut, and Skittles. You'll find Ray's well-fermented staff well-versed in the more than 8,000 wines in the store's stock, and they'll happily help you find a drink to pair with your next fancy dinner or fancy microwave dinner. Call at least 48 hours ahead to reserve your spot and be sure to mention your Groupon.
Tastings are subject to availability, and you must be 21 years or older to attend.
- In selecting their wines for sale, Ray's criteria is quality and value, which is primarily driven by their shared passion. – John Burns, Milwaukee
- Ray's Wine and Spirits has an inviting atmosphere and great selection. The staff is very knowledgable [sic] about everything in the store and always eager to help! – Leah C., CityVoter
8930 W North Ave.
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin 53226Get Directions