Today's Groupon gets you a taste of traditional Thai dishes passed down through generations at Tuk Tuk Thai. For just $15, you get $30 worth of homemade curries, soups, noodles, drinks, and more. Though Thailand is 256 miles away, Tuk Tuk brings the spicy, nourishing fare right to Pico Boulevard via pneumatic tube. Warm and spicy food inside Tuk Tuk's rose-walled, rich mahogany–tabled, and soft-lit interior is the perfect beginning to your spicy evening date or a night of catching up with your submarine crew.
Start your night with Thai spring rolls (baked tofu, egg, carrot, bean sprouts, and cucumber in a rice-flour crêpe with sweet plum sauce), wonton soup, or a green-pear salad (with shrimp, mixed greens, and roasted cashews tossed in chili lime juice). Tuk Tuk's extensive menu offers a vast range of entrées, fried rice, and vegetables. If you feel like venturing beyond familiar dishes such as pineapple fried rice and pad thai, try the pan-roasted cashew nuts (sautéed roasted cashews with onions, green onions, carrots, roasted chili, and grilled chili paste) or the Siam pork chop (a thick, marinated chop grilled with peppercorn). Take a couple of friends and indulge in a glass of Thai iced tea, a lychee martini (soju, creme de cassis, and a splash of lychee juice), or coffee.
- I got the Green Curry Chicken and asked for it extra spicy. It was great, the closest flavors to Thailand outside of Thailand. – Hanna G., Yelp
- Very friendly, young and pretty female waitresses ushered us to our table. It was a candle-lit. Very good ambience with tiny thai autorikshaw models and pictures on the walls. – t2_thomas, Citysearch
- The best curry I have ever tested might possibly be from Tuk Tuk. Very flavorful!! The vegetable spring rolls and pad thai are good as well. The inside of the restaurant is sooo cute and is a great date place- dark and romantic. – chiuchiu, Citysearch
Broadway Rick’s Cool America
Tuk Tuk is known to serve authentic Thai food outside of Thailand. But where can you find authentic American food in Thailand? At Broadway Rick’s Cool America, an American restaurant in Bangkok owned by expatriate Rick Marzotti. Here’s how his restaurant captures the spirit of America:
- Every menu item contains beef, including dessert.
- No waitresses. Just cheerleaders.
- Big-screen TV in every menu.
- Closes during American holidays such as President’s Day and National Taco Appreciation Month.
- If customers are tempted to think that the red, white, and blue color scheme represents Thailand, Slovenia, Russia, Nepal, Cuba, Iceland, the Faroe Islands, or Serbia and Montenegro, they are corrected. It’s for America.
For the casual observer passing Tuk Tuk, it might seem as though there has been an accident. The front of a tuk tuk—the Thai term for rickshaw—juts from the front of the building above the awning, as though its wheel has just burst through the wall. But if that observer ventured inside, they would find neither debris nor an apologetic teleporter proclaiming that his calculations were off. Instead they would see diners seated beneath colorful wall art and hanging lamps whose shades resemble curving Möbius strips, or, according to one review from Gayot, snail shells. Then, once the adrenaline faded and reality set in, the investigating observer would be smacked by what was so obvious to everyone else: the aroma of mingling spices.
A compendium of noodle dishes, wok stir-fries, curries, and house specialties, the menu prioritizes the power of complementary ingredients. According to the same Gayot review, chef Aoi Rattanamanee has a particular knack for seasoning grilled dishes: "Chicken is marinated overnight in garlic, cilantro and black pepper, fostering deep flavor." The spicy basil fried rice mixes chili and thai basil within a vegetable medley, and the Crying Tiger beef derives its zest from garlic, galangal root, and soybean sauce. Those in search of proven staples can indulge in pad thai or one of three curry variants, whose ingredients have all simmered in a creamy coconut milk.
8875 W Pico Blvd
Los Angeles, California 90035Get Directions