What You'll Get
Without airplanes, humans would still have to bribe birds with gourmet bread crumbs and a marriage visa for a ride across international borders. Examine the evolution of flight with today's Groupon to the Western Canada Aviation Museum, located on Ferry Road. Choose from the following options:
- $25 for a family membership (a $50 value). See side bar for details.
- $9 for a family admission (an $18 value), which admits two adults and three children.
- $7 for two adult admissions (a $15 value).
Encased within a hangar at Winnipeg's International Airport, the historical and scientific elements of Canada's rich aviation history reveal themselves in more than 25 exhibits sprawled throughout more than 90,000 square feet. Explore the exterior of Canada's first helicopter, built by the Froebe brothers in the 1930s. The Vickers Viscount, a Trans-Canada Airlines airplane, reflects Canada's involvement in commercial flight. The Avrocar, a replica of the flying saucer built by a secret collaboration between the American military, Avro Canada, and the Canadian government during the Cold War years, entices onlookers with its super shiny, supersonic curves and promises of candy.
The flight deck features an enclosed observation area where museum visitors can watch runway traffic and eavesdrop on ground control commands. The knowledgeable volunteers are happy to answer questions and the Skyways Discovery Zone serves as an interactive space for children to investigate aspects of flight through explorable engines, climbable cockpits, and an indoor runway ideal for perfecting catwalks. Museum parking is free.
- Several interactive exhibits recreate trips into the wild blue yonder and into outer space. Antique planes such as the Vickers Vedette, 101 Voodoo and Junkers JU52-1M are on display, and videotapes provide more information about the aircraft. – 10Best
- The volunteers are very knowledgable and obviously enjoy what they do. Very good experience… – A Yahoo! Contributor
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Apr 21, 2011. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person, may buy multiple as gifts. Valid only for option purchased. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.