All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
· Reviewed April 7, 2017
· Reviewed February 20, 2017
· Reviewed February 17, 2017
What You'll Get
After wine was discovered, it immediately replaced the original social lubricant, yak grease. Rub elbows with new people while learning about culture's grapey facilitator with today's Groupon: for $40, you get a three-flight wine-tasting class with food pairings at Winegasm Bar and Eatery in Astoria (an $80 value). As a bonus, students who would like to stay for after-class dinner will receive a 30% discount on their meal that night.
Winegasm's wine-tasting classes focus on exploring the tastes and characteristics of specific wine-producing regions of the old and new worlds, learning basic wine terminology, and meeting new, like-wine-minded people. Taught by a certified sommelier, the three-hour class offers a flight of three white, three red, and three rosé wines selected from all over the world, as well as the sommelier's choice of one sparkling and one dessert wine, exposing students to a broad palate and a taste of every category of liquid a grape can ooze. Winegasm's down-to-earth approach to oenophilia leaves pretentiousness to Frasier reruns, exploring wine from the basics of color, aroma, body, and flavor to complexities such as dryness, tannins, varietals, vintages, and acidity. The class includes a how-to session on wine-food pairing, which covers meat selection, appropriate sauces, which wine goes best over Cheerios, and what you did that day. All flights come with food friends in the form of tapas, cheeses, and sweet treats. Classes are held three Saturdays each month (check the schedule for availability).
Winegasm's chic dark-wood interior with exposed-brick walls and intricately crated beam ceilings make for an elegant yet casual evening of replacing worries with wine lips. If the tapas and appetizers in your wine flight have left your meal sack wanting more, your Groupon entitles you to a 30% discount on dinner after class.
Must be 21 years or older to redeem this Groupon.
- Despite the fratty-sounding name (that is, if fratboys drank cabernet franc), this sexy little winecentric spot is outfitted with printer’s-box–like bottle shelving, exposed-brick walls and square, ample wooden tables—all the better to encourage the sharing of $5 and $6 small plates, like smoked-bacon–wrapped prunes and wild-mushroom truffle crostini. – Time Out New York
- I have been living in this neighborhood for a few years now and always wished there were more places like this one with a Manhattan "feel" .. so I think this place might save me a trip to Manhattan on occasion! – chirach, Citysearch
- Great spot for a first date! It's a great setting, interesting food that will tell you about a person depending on what they choose, and there's some reasonably priced wine on the list to choose from too! – Lauren B., Yelp
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Jun 2, 2011. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person, may buy multiple as gifts. Reservation required. Must be at least 21. Valid only for scheduled class. Subject to availability. Gratuity not included. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Winegasm Bar & Eatery
At Winegasm Bar & Eatery, the menu’s contributes delicious class to the venue's already-elegant setting, with Time Out New York mentioning the "sexy little winecentric spot" as an ideal place for splitting small plates. Its Mediterranean-style tapas include prosciutto arugula pizzetta and truffle fries, all savory openers for dishes like sicilian meatballs and truffled mac&cheese. But given the restaurant's name, many diners immediately dive into the wine list where they can choose from an array of wine cocktails and carefully designed wine flight selections. Guest can choose flights depending on type, region, or style. A legend is also provided to help guests discern if the wine is natural, organic, sustainable, biodynamic or made locally.