Nothing is more comforting and tastebud-satisfying than a rich and zesty Italian meal. Zuppa Restaurant, located in SOMA at 564 4th St., serves up just that—classic Italian dishes made fresh with local, organic produce, on-site sliced deli cuts, and delectable cheeses.
Everything on Zuppa's menu is made right before your eyes in its entertaining open kitchen. Indulge in homemade pasta like agnolotti dal plin con spec (ricotta stuffed pasta with smoked prosciutto, shallots); melt-in-your-mouth, wood-oven pizzas; or the savory pollo alla griglia (natural half-chicken with soft polenta, mariquita farms roasted carrots, and sea salt). For the perfect pairing, ask your knowledgeable server for a wine recommendation. If you're looking for a sweet ending, don't miss the to-die-for vanilla panna cotta, because if you do miss it, you will die.
Chef/owner Joseph Manzare has tons of restaurant experience. He's been in the business since he was 14 and has worked at elite eateries, including Wolfgang Puck hot spots Spago in LA and Pastrio in SF. After opening two Globe Restaurants (Financial District and Venice Beach), Manzare decided to bring his passion for Italian to the Bay Area with Zuppa. His culinary expertise has been recognized in SF Weekly and the San Francisco Chronicle.
The laid-back atmosphere complements the simplicity of the restaurant: straightforward, mouthwatering Italian food. Bask in the people-watching-friendly modern dining area downstairs, which is decked out with wooden tables, dangling light fixtures, and vibrant paintings.
Bring a date, the whole family, or the whole family you are dating: Zuppa has big tables for dating large families and intimate two-seaters for dating only one person. With an array of Italian favorites, you'll be hard-pressed to find someone the menu won't please.
Citysearch's editor gives Zuppa 4.5 stars:
- Starters include tender cured meats served on a cutting board alongside a never-ending replenishment of warm focaccia, and wood-fired pizzas with thin, chewy crusts. Pastas and hearty mains, like bone-in rib eye garnished with roasted garlic and steeped in a light tomato sauce, are big enough to share. The impressive, all-Italian wine list is comprehensive.
- I thought Zuppa was one of the greatest meals I have ever had in my life. The prosciutto was phenomenal and the speck pizza was a perfect combination of flavors. The service was excellent. Our waitress recommended us the most delicious bottle of wine to compliment [sic] everything on the table. – jordanmc, Citysearch
- The pizza is the best in s.f. I love the rigatoni and we always share the steak. The wine list is all italian and the staff really encourage you to try something new. I've never been disappointed. – altravista, Citysearch
Zuppa Featured on SF Table Enthusiast
Zuppa was recently featured on San Francisco Table Enthusiast, a daily television program that examines the city's finest tables over the course of two hours. Here are just a few the comments taken from the host's glowing discussion of Zuppa's tables:
- What are you looking for in a table? The ability to sit down? You got lucky 'cause at Zuppa, you can sit at these tables.
- Big tables? Small tables? Medium-sized tables? I don't want to oversell you, but the tables here do come in a variety of sizes.
- Are you one of those demanding types who want to also put something on top of their table? Well you can put stuff on the tables at Zuppa too.
564 4th St
San Francisco, California 94107Get Directions