Gothic Revival Mansion in Historical Dairy Town
In 1866, the James Harris Cheese Factory put the tiny town of Ingersoll on the map when it co-manufactured a 7,300-pound (3,300 kg) cheese wheel. The mammoth cheese toured from New York to England, promoting Ingersoll as a thriving dairy exporter. Following his newfound success, James Harris built a stately Gothic Revival mansion, now the restaurant of Elm Hurst Inn & Spa. During the inn's renovation in 1988, crews discovered an old-fashioned buggy, which now hangs from the rafters of its original carriage house, the most striking example of how this countryside inn pays homage to the cheese baron.
Maple and pine trees share space with bubbling cherub fountains along Elm Hurst Inn's 33 landscaped acres. Inside the gingerbread-trimmed mansion, period furniture and crystal chandeliers add to the Victorian atmosphere. Though the inn evokes the 19th century with its decorations, deluxe rooms afford modern amenities, including complimentary WiFi, iPod docking stations, and holographic phonographs. Manicures, aroma hydrotherapy tubs, stone massages, and other revitalizing treatments melt stress at the onsite Aveda spa.
Inside the 1872-built Elm Hurst Mansion, award-winning chef Michael Davies prepares entrees for a sumptuous breakfast that includes Ontario back bacon and eggs on cranberry focaccia. Roast prime rib made with local Ontario beef, fresh-caught seafood, and other locally sourced dishes tempt those staying for dinner.
Ingersoll, Ontario: Rural Town with Tree-Lined Hiking Trails
Located in an agricultural community on Ontario's southwestern peninsula, Ingersoll began as a dairy town and still maintains its agrarian charm with historical buildings, fruit farms, and wineries scattered throughout the countryside. One can become acquainted with the area by hiking or cross-country skiing the Thomas Ingersoll Scenic Trail, which weaves through the town and pine forests.
In downtown Ingersoll, boutique stores and markets sell loose-leaf teas, fresh baked goods, local cheeses, and more. Those looking to escape the small-town rural scene can make the 40-minute drive southwest to London, home of Fanshawe College and the University of Western Ontario, as well as gardens, museums, and breweries.
No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate; no refunds, rescheduling, or rebooking allowed. Read the Fine Print for important info on offer details and other restrictions.
What You Get
- Stay for two in a regular king or two-queen room
- One-night stays include a $50 inn credit
- Two-night stays include a $100 inn credit
- Dates into October
Policies and Fees
- Reservations: dates cannot be changed once booked; valid only for night(s) purchased
- Cancellation policy: 72-hour cancellation notice required prior to check-in or reservation is non-refundable.
- Taxes: 13% tax added at purchase
- All prices and fees listed in US dollars unless otherwise noted
Read the Fine Print for important info on offer details and other restrictions.
- Historical Victorian inn
- Daily local breakfast
- Hot tub and steam room
- Aveda spa onsite
- Inn credit valid for dining, movies, spa, and other activities
What Makes This Getaway Great
We're confident in your Groupon experience and back it with the Groupon Promise. Learn more.
Groupon-Exclusive Discounts. We negotiate directly with hotels and tour operators to get you the deepest discount available -- as only Groupon can.
Handpicked Travel. Our travel experts and writers research every getaway for you.
Fearless Booking. Book your dates directly on Groupon. If your plans change, you can cancel your reservation with just one click, up until the cancellation deadline.
More Great Deals See all
The Fine Print
- Dates cannot be changed once booked; valid only for night(s) purchased
- 72hr cancellation notice required prior to check-in or reservation is non-refundable
- No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate
- No refunds will be processed by Groupon after check in
- Traveler name must match ID at time of check-in
- All prices and charges listed in US Dollars
- Purchases are in US Dollars
- Foreign exchange fee may apply
- Must be 19 or older to check in
- Not valid with reward points
- Reservation required for spa services
- 13% tax added at purchase.
- Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
- See the rules that apply to all deals.
Regular King Room
- One king bed
- Standard occupancy: 2
- Maximum occupancy: 2
- Adding occupants above standard: not allowed
Regular Queen Room
- Two queen beds
- Standard occupancy: 2
- Maximum occupancy: 4
- Adding occupants above standard: $10 per night for each additional guest 11 or older; guests 10 or younger stay free
- Check in: 3 p.m.
- Check out: 11 a.m.
- Parking: free
- Rollaways: available for $10 per night
- Smoking policy: no smoking inside the property
- Pet policy: not allowed inside the property
- Accessibility: handicap-accessible rooms are not available.
- Room upgrades: not available
- By plane: about 20 miles (33 km) from London International Airport (YXU)
- By cab: about C$45 from YXU
- By car: about 25 miles (40 km) east of London
- By transit: Ingersoll stop via WD-TR
- A passport is required for all travel outside the U.S.
- Before international travel, always check the State Department's website for important info on the destination and its entry/exit requirements.