Guitarists often change instruments during concerts for different tunings or because the one they’ve been using is starting to smell like wet dog. Soak in the sounds with this GrouponLive deal.
- $29 for one ticket to see a Direct From Cuba Presents Latin Summer Concert Series show, including dinner and a rose for attending ladies (up to a $69 value)
- Where: Drom
- Seating: reserved
- Door time: 15 minutes before showtime
- Ticket prices include all fees.
- Dinner includes roasted chicken, rice and beans, sweet plantains, and a salad.
- Families, groups, and singles welcome<p>
Artists and Dates
- Chembo Corniel Quintet on Sunday, August 25.
- Jorge Luis Pacheco Trio on September 6–7
- Click to view all available performances.<p>
Chembo Corniel Quintet
- Chembo’s full name: Wilson Corniel
- What he’s mastered: congas, tumbadoras, and other percussion instruments
- One of the few things he can’t create a beat with: his 2009 Grammy nomination for Things I Wanted To Do
- Essential album: Afro Blue Monk, a 2012 tribute to Thelonious Monk and Mongo Santamaría
- What Jazz Times had to say about the album: it’s “a scintillating and romantic musical experience”
- Where to catch him on your TV: he made an appearance on The Cosby Show and elevates many of the tunes on Dora the Explorer<p>
Jorge Luis Pacheco Trio
- Born: December 18, 1984 in Havana
- Impressive thing he’s done since then: won first prize at the 2007 International Competition of Young Jazz Musicians
- Second impressive thing: was selected by Wynton Marsalis to perform with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra in Havana
- Impressive thing he’ll be doing soon: turning 30
- Impressive thing he’ll probably never do: lick the back of his head
- Instrument of choice: The piano. He’s been called “the flying hands.”
- Repertoire includes: New latin jazz pieces and traditional songs from Buena Vista Social Club
- How he feels about collaboration: “When you play you really need to listen to the other musicians. I like to create space in the music so we can all speak together like having a good conversation.” (All About Jazz, 2012) <p>
55% of 11 customers recommend
85 Avenue A
New York, New York 10009