Although Thomas Edison invented the light bulb and the phonograph, it never occurred to him to mix lights and music because he wasn't very smart. Electrify your senses with this GrouponLive deal.
- $9 for one ticket to the Memorial Day Weekend Party (up to $16.82 value)
- When: Sunday, May 25, at 9 p.m.
- Where: Avalon
- General admission
- Door time: 9 p.m.
- Ticket values include all fees.
Memorial Day Weekend Party
- What it is: a giant dance party to ring in Memorial Day
- How many dance partners could I potentially have?: more than 1,000
- What will we be dancing to?: electronic dance music, hip-hop, glow sticks with their own heartbeats
- Who’s behind the turntables?: Oscar Flowers, a DJ known for his frenetic remixes of eclectic dance songs
- How many rooms can I dance in?: three, all inside the legendary Avalon nightclub
Those who've seen The Social Network or watched Heidi Klum host Germany's Next Top Model have already peeked inside Exchange LA. But behind the Hollywood connections, bright lights, and EDM bass thumps is plenty of history. Soaring 11 stories into the air (the city's limit at the time of construction) with 40-foot ceilings and art-deco details, the venue opened its limestone and granite doors as the Los Angeles Stock Exchange in 1931. A 90'x74' trading floor trimmed with balconies served as the anchor, while Eastern, American Indian, and Greek influences imparted a sense of timelessness. Although born into the tumult of the Great Depression, the structure continued its life as a financial hub until 2008. Then, as all buildings do when they reach maturity, it developed a massive cocoon and emerged as a nightclub.
1735 Vine Street
Los Angeles, California 90028Get Directions