Groupon is overjoyed to bring today's feature deal from the internationally celebrated Chicago culinary icon: Spring. Chef-owner Shawn McClain (who also runs Green Zebra) has earned critical adoration from the likes of the Bon Appétit, New York Times, the Chicago Tribune, and Time Out Chicago, among many others. The upscale establishment serves some of the most refined cuisine in Chicago, and with today's Groupon you'll get $75 worth of their delicious inventions for just $35.
Spring's goal is "to reintroduce dining as an experience using all senses; allowing our patrons to take time to enjoy and revel in their meal," and anyone who has eaten there will tell you they go above and beyond to achieve just that. Make no mistake: you will experience a sensory rollercoaster with any item you select from Spring's original New American menu. The cuisine is built on European flavors, and McClain adds an Asian twist. He combines the simplicity of fresh fish, meat, and vegetables with light, tangy dressings and sake glazes. To start, try the asparagus salad topped with acacia honey beignets and bacon and dressed with creamed herbs. Continue with the Pacific black cod, topped with a black-bean-and-sake glaze and toasted sesame. McClain’s Asian inspiration is noticeable in dishes such as the staple lemongrass-and-coconut soup flavored with Thai chili and lime, and the braised beef short rib served with Japanese egg noodles.
Spring sits in the location of the former Luxor Bathhouse. Like its predecessor, the restaurant offers a calm and relaxing experience in a cool and clean space. Clean lines and sharp angles mark the entire dining room; soft, vertical glass fixtures light its earth-toned walls. The chartreuse, tan, and eggplant panels accent the bathhouse’s original white-glazed brick tiles in Spring’s Zen garden.
McClain created Spring to offer Chicagoans a high-end dining experience that's accessible to everyone. The restaurant offers more than inventive, gourmet cuisine—the entire experience is a respite to the high-speed chaos of daily life. Get today's Groupon to experience the calm of Spring's serene setting while enjoying the exquisite culinary stylings of Shawn McClain.
The New York Times loves Spring:
- At Spring, Mr. McClain is causing a stir with his take on fusion, but even he hasn't lost sight of American sense and sensibility.
- Each and every experience has been a pure delight. The food is so fresh and prepared superbly...The staff is friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. – andrejone1, Citysearch
- This is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. The food is phenominal [sic], the atmosphere very nice, service superb, and priced very appropriatley [sic]. – Danny W., Yelp
- Best meal ever. Not to mention the impeccable service from EVERYONE. Even though we ordered off the Chef's Week menu ($32 for three courses!), no one shunned us! – Melanie V., Yelp
Check out Spring on Check Please:
Reviews by Other Seasons
Other seasons are in love with the cuisine at Spring:
- On my hot nights, there's nothing I long for more than to dunk my head, braids and all, into Spring's cool lemongrass and coconut soup. – Summer
- Every Halloween, I dress as Spring's Pacific black cod. How do I do this, you ask? I cover myself in black-bean-and-sake glaze with toasted sesame. I have won all but one all-seasons Halloween costume party, when Summer and Winter dressed up as each other and stole the trophy. – Fall
- Whenever my socks freeze, I just eat a little Spring braised beef short rib, put on my Summer costume (waterwings, sun glasses, giant Sun head, etc.) and let the combination warm my body and soul. – Winter