Learn to talk terroir and exhort the élevage of a terrific trocken with a wine tasting at Calais Winery. Today’s deal gets you $7 admission to a wine tasting of six wines at this Deep Ellum boutique winery, a $15 value.
Oenophile Benjamin Calais left a corporate career to produce his own wines in Dallas. Pop in any Friday or Saturday evening and savor a grape parade. October tastings will explore everything from California-based sips to a selection of personally selected wines that won't break the budget or your spirit. Tastings are held between 2 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays (call or e-mail to schedule once you have your Groupon). Best of all, Calais wines work with all types of wine noses.
If you think you’re sending all the right signals with your style of dress, body language, and attractive fake teeth, beware—your libation of choice can be almost as revealing as your authentic teeth. Instead of seeming juvenile with a spiked, umbrella-garnished Shirley Temple, wine sends out a message that you’re a sophisticated sipper who drinks wine. Going to a tasting is also an effective way to measure your compatibility with a first date. If you discover you’re both passionate about pinot, you may want to extend the outing and share an entire bottle with two giant straws made out of architectural-grade copper.
- It’s time to get back and spend an evening at Calais Winery with winemaker and owner Benjamin Calais. First, he has a French accent and loves to chat. – D Magazine
- ...it will be interesting to see where Mr. Calais' well-honed French sensibilities take him in Texas winemaking. – Kim Pierce, Dallas Morning News
Before you head to your wine tasting, you’ll want to know these basic facts about wine:
- Wine is a liquid made from fermented grapes that can be measured by volume, which is fixed by its temperature and pressure.
- Wine bottles did not receive their distinctive shape to conform to the shape of wine. Instead, wine consists of molecules spaced far enough apart from each other that its shape must conform to the shape of its containers.
- If wine is at rest in a uniform gravitational field, the pressure P at any point is given by P = PGZ where:
P = the density of the liquid (assumed constant)
G = gravity
Z = the depth of the point below the surface
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.
Under the tutelage of French winemaker Benjamin Calais, the experts at Calais Winery craft varietals using traditional French techniques. That's why the winery proudly proclaims itself "The French Winery of Texas," making La Cuvee d'Elme aged in French oak barrels and a Zinfandel-Sangiovese blend with a thick accent. Visitors can drop in for a wine tasting, during which they're invited to sample five wines from the current list. Those with a deeper curiosity about winemaking can enroll in classes that illuminate the process from grape to bottle.
3000 Commerce St
Dallas, Texas 75226Get Directions