Mastering the secrets of Indian cooking takes a lifetime, but tasting the enigma takes a much shorter period than a lifetime. Enjoy gourmet Indian cuisine as colorful and tastefused as its Art Deco-district location with today's deal: $45 worth of Indian cuisine and drinks at Ishq in South Beach for $20. You can treat up to two friends with a single Groupon, but if you turn your trio into a quartet, you may combine two Groupons for $90 worth of Delhi dining.
The word "Ishq" means "passionate love," which helps explain rampant references to the restaurant in every Bollywood song ever recorded. Ishq's dinner menu is as diverse as the subcontinent itself, with meticulously spiced fare that covers the cream-based curry from the north and the rice-heavy, coconut-curry of the south, as well as British, French, Portuguese, and Persian influences. Start your meal with a vegetarian sampler ($15.95) or a plate of meat samosas ($7.95). Your entree options run the gamut from traditional chicken tikka masala ($20.95) to non-traditional Bombay baby back ribs glazed in tamarind ($22.95). Vegan options are also available, so you won't be stuck eating garlic naan bread all night ($4.95) (though that's also very good).
Ishq also adds its own unique sari-twist to specialty drinks like the mango Samsara ($11), which, far from being an endless cycle of suffering, tastes like the sangria a guru might employ to ensure favorable future becomings on date night. For something even sweeter, try the Shalimar, a saffron-infused vodka accented with almond and cream liquors, espresso, vanilla, and rose essence ($15). It goes well with a dessert of gulab jamun (Indian doughnut holes; $5.95) or kulfi (Indian saffron & rose ice cream; $7.95).
- Everything we tried was delicious. The favorite at the table was the Kerala Shrimp Curry.. I could not stop raving about it. – nunu256, Citysearch
- I'm of Indian descent and loved the food here. Its [sic] great for people who like spicy food but also they make it milder for people who can't take the heat! – pingle, TripAdvisor
- My daughter and I really enjoyed the food at Ishq, and we were especially pleased that the menu has vegan selections. Our favorite was the Kara Kari, an eggplant curry dish, and we also really enjoyed the whole wheat roti. – cat1980, Trip Advisor
What's an Ishq?
Ishq can mean both "passionate love" and "Miami restaurant serving up delectable Indian fare." But in our modern world of text message abbreviations, augmented telepathy, and rap-shouting, words can often transcend their original definitions and evolve new meanings. These days, Ishq can mean any of the following:
- Widely used abbreviated title of popular autobiography, I, Shaq.
- The word "Askew" pronounced through a mouthful of marshmallow pumpkins.
- The acronym "I sniff hurricanes, quietly."
- The latest "ish" of Q Magazine the only bi-monthly publication for serialized Don Quixote fan-fiction.
- A quiche, after you drop it. Thanks for ruining New Year’s brunch, butterfingers.
Follow @Groupon_Says on Twitter.