Science is one of the world’s most marginalized subjects, often bullied by math, disregarded by geography, and ridiculed by gym class. Give science the affection it deserves with today’s Groupon: membership to the Museum of Science and Industry, located in Hyde Park. Choose from two options:
$55 for a one-year “Master” family membership (a $115 value). The family membership grants free admission to two adults, all of your children under 18, and one guest. Master-level members also receive, among other benefits, four free passes to the Smart Home: Green + Wired exhibit and other select upcoming special exhibits. Indoor parking is included at a discounted $12 rate.
$40 for a one-year “Bachelor” individual membership (an $80 value). The individual membership grants free admission to the member plus one guest. Bachelor-level members also receive, among other benefits, two free passes to both the Smart Home: Green + Wired exhibit and and other select upcoming special exhibits.
The Museum of Science and Industry, opened in 1933, has nearly 14 acres of interactive exhibits and more than 35,000 intellect-tickling artifacts. Current exhibits include YOU! The Experience, which explores the intellectual, corporeal, spiritual, and immiscible aspects of human life through 50 interactive experiences; Science Storms, which explains the science behind natural phenomena and allows visitors to control the air flow of a 40-foot tornado, make a tsunami in a 30-foot wave tank, and more; and the U-505 Submarine, which showcases a German submarine captured off the coast of West Africa during World War II. Plus, classic exhibits such as the Coal Mine are always available.
In addition to the benefits outlined above, both membership levels include free tickets to the museum’s five-story, wrap-around Omnimax Theater. The theater, a stunning above-head dome of sight and sound, makes any movie a full-body experience, like skydiving or donating half a liver. Two films currently playing include Hubble, narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio, which explores outer space, and Legends of Flight, which examines aviation history.
Valid for new members or those who have not been members for at least one year. Current members can purchase this Groupon to add six months to their membership.
- I think what distinguishes it is that it's a museum that's great for both kids and adults. It's highly interactive while being highly educational. – Wendy S., Yelp
- Good lay-out and descriptions; there are also volunteer guides/veterans who can fill you in on the details or answer any questions you may have. – NoVAdiver, Trip Advisor
Museum of Science and Industry
The interactive Coal Mine experience has been one of the Museum of Science and Industry’s favorite attractions since the Museum’s first guests arrived in 1933. The Museum has added more and more exhibits and experiences over the decades, but it’s always remained true to its founding mission: to inspire the inventive genius in everyone.
- Size: the largest science museum in the Western Hemisphere, with more than 400,000 sq. ft. filled with interactive science exhibits and home to more than 35,000 artifacts
- Eye Catcher: Science Storms, in which swirling air and vapor transform into a 40-foot indoor tornado and six other natural phenomena come to life
- Permanent Mainstay: U-505, a real WWII-era German sub
- Don't Miss: the cloned mice and baby chicks (which hatch each day) inside the Genetics exhibit
- Hidden Gem: catch a whisper from across the room in the Whispering Gallery
- Play: Mindball, a game won by controlling brainwaves, in YOU! The Experience
- The Building: The Museum occupies the last remaining building from the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition
- Explore: the giant Mirror Maze in the Numbers in Nature exhibit
- Special Features: in-depth tours, science clubs for students, movies inside a five-story, domed, wrap-around theater, workshops, member-exclusive events, and more