More than 10,000-square-foot rock-climbing gym welcomes guests of all skill levels for classes, events, and open-climbing sessions
About This Deal
- Indoor climbing
- What’s included:
- Climbing shoes
- Chalk bag
- Belay device
- Appropriate for skill levels: no climbing experience is required
- Must print and sign waiver
- Age restrictions: must be 18 or older to sign own waiver. Younger than 18 must have a guardian-signed waiver.
Indoor Rock Climbing FAQs
- Is it safe? Yes. Rock climbing gyms typically require a safety course on proper belaying techniques, knots, and other fundamentals for top-rope courses and have designated “beginner” courses for first timers.
- What should I wear? Loose-fitting clothing that you can easily move around in. You’ll be able to grab climbing shoes, harness, and other necessary gear onsite.
- Do I have to be in good shape? Not really—climbing gyms have courses that cater to a wide range of fitness levels. Generally speaking, if you can climb a ladder you can indoor rock climb.
- What if I’m afraid of heights? Try bouldering, which takes place on shorter walls and doesn’t require harnesses or other top-rope gear. Bouldering focuses more on moving sideways than vertically, so climbers rarely get more than 10–12 feet off the ground.
Need To Know
About The Edge Rock Gym - Climbing and Fitness
Rock climbing is so fun that The Edge Rock Gym - Climbing and Fitness actually has a warning about it on its site. A page for newbies notes that after a first session, "Your face may hurt from smiling so much." Rock climbing also works muscles that are usually ignored in daily activities, so it might leave one a little sore. It's all worth it, though—especially in such a well-appointed, welcoming gym.
Spaciousness: The gym is large where it counts most—vertically. Its high ceilings, combined with new top-rope and lead climbing walls, make for a more than 10,000-square-foot climbing area.
Beginner-Friendly Climbing Classes: There are plenty of classes to choose from, including a basic movement and technique class covering foot placement, hand holds, and how to rest without carrying your bed up the climbing wall.
Festive Friday Nights: The gym stays open until 11 p.m. on Fridays for a ropes-challenge course, wherein visitors can test their strength and balance.
High-tech Tours: The gym's website offers 360-degree virtual tours, on which cyber visitors can browse the gear shop in the lobby and gaze up at the towering walls.