All reviews are from people who have redeemed deals with this merchant.
What You'll Get
Jump to: Reviews | The Man Who Does Everything Right
Today's Groupon gets you $40 worth of food for $20 at Seventeenth Street Cafe & Bakery, the Montana Street eatery that LA Magazine says "does everything right." Local screenwriters and producers love Seventeenth Street for its straightforward and fresh fare, moderate prices, and low-key decor, according to Gayot.
The menu features California and international cuisine, from Chinese chicken salad to bruschetta and gazpacho. Pizzas (seafood, tomato basil, and more), pastas, and big salads (such as Granny Smith apple and walnut, oak-smoked salmon, and grapefruit, chicken, and avocado) are favorites. Many entrees have Mediterranean flair: a New York steak comes brushed with olive oil and herbs and served with whole green mustard, and the roasted lamb loin is rolled with spinach, feta, and pine nuts.
Seventeenth Street Cafe recently expanded to stock fresh baked goods including chocolate and cinnamon rugalah, black-and-white cookies, butter cookies, and homemade scones. Service is attentive and friendly at the clean, tasteful restaurant with wood tables, white tablecloths, bare brick, and art on the walls.
- This café does everything right... Local screenwriters and producers love it for its lack of schmooze. – Los Angeles magazine
- ...patrons swear by the freshness and quality of the food. Even if you just come for a coffee or a sample of the beer and wine menu, however, 17th St. Café offers a pleasant environment in which to relax, with an assortment of art—provided by a revolving group of local artists—hanging from the homey brick walls. – The Los Angeles Times
- This cozy eatery has been a favorite Montana Avenue dining destination for years due to moderate prices, an array of intriguing dishes and fairly good wines. The subdued, earth-toned dining room is a pleasant refuge for many of the café's high-profile regulars, steering out of the fast lane for an evening of straightforward fare. – Gayot
- Food was good and fresh. Extensive menu and nice affordable wine and beverage menu. I liked the service too. It's a local surprise. – K S., Yelp
- The food here is great! Excelent [sic] bruscetta, chop grilled vegetable salad, bbq chicken pizza, yummy desserts, I could go on. – Pretty Girl, MenuPages
- This small cafe on Montana has amazing service. – Contributor, Citysearch
The Man Who Does Everything Right
According to Los Angeles Magazine, the Seventeenth Street Cafe "does everything right." While this delights customers, it infuriates Philadelphian Joe Cartwright—"The Man Who Does Everything Right."
Cartwright was born in 1973 and his first words, "Great job. Thanks," were said to the doctor who delivered him. From then on, Cartwright proceeded to do everything—and to do it right. He's climbed K2 through K8, painted famous forgeries, written the popular book series How to Swim, and done absolutely everything else a person can do.
Cartwright recently moved to LA, hoping to continue his feud with the Seventeenth Street Café, the seemingly perfect restaurant. But when he ate its food, he finally did the one thing he had not yet done: love.
The Fine Print
Promotional value expires Nov 26, 2009. Amount paid never expires. Limit 1 per person Limit 1 per table Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services.
About Jack's on Montana
Now under new management, Jack's on Montana makes it easy to enjoy a home-cooked meal without the hassle and dirty dishes it takes to make one yourself. That's because they make all of their items from scratch, including artisan bread, rotating daily desserts, and salad dressings. They even smoke their meats in-house. The kitchen fuels the homey flavors with a pantry stocked with items culled from local farmers and purveyors. The energy and freshness of these locally sourced ingredients emanate from every menu items, from the roasted beet salad to the On Montana pizza' bleu cheese, walnuts, apples, and honey.