Choose from Three Options
- $25 for Five Hot Yoga, Hot Pilates, Non-Hot Yoga, and Barre Classes ($65 value)
- $45 for 10 Hot Yoga, Hot Pilates, Non-Hot Yoga, and Barre Classes ($120 value)
- $35 for One Month of Unlimited Hot Yoga, Hot Pilates, Non-Hot Yoga, and Barre Classes ($89 value)
Three Things to Know About Yoga
Few fitness disciplines meld relaxation and strength-building like yoga. Read on to learn about its surprising origins and incredible diversity.
1. In Sanskrit, yoga means “union.” (The word shares a root with the English word “yoke.”) The things being united are the mind, body, and breath, as practitioners use motion to guide the thoughts toward peaceful awareness and away from the funny-looking dog walking past the studio window.
2. Historically, strength and flexibility were probably just side benefits. In fact, some of the first Indian yogis to arrive to the U.S. explicitly rejected asanas, or postures, as a distraction from meditation. Recent research by yogi and scholar Mark Singleton indicates that, starting in the 1920s, a Scandinavian fitness system known as Primitive Gymnastics became wildly popular in India, and began to meld with far older yoga traditions that were more concerned with breath and focus. Around the same time, other teachers in India traveled the country teaching strengthening and combat techniques under the guise of yoga, in the hopes of preparing to rise against British rule. This complex stew of influences eventually produced the blend of movement and meditation most Westerners recognize as yoga today.
3. Today an estimated 20–30 million North Americans practice yoga. What that looks like in practice is wildly diverse—everything from sweaty, tolerance-testing hot yoga to quick-flowing vinyasa yoga to “laughter yoga,” which combines yogic breathing with deliberate laughter to ease stress. One of yoga’s greatest virtues is its adaptability: props make classes accessible to older students, and prenatal classes teach pregnant women poses that take into account their extra-stretchy ligaments and tendency toward lower-back pain.
Younique Yoga NWI - Valparaiso, Crown Point, & Schererville
YOUnique Yoga of NWI specializes in both hot and non-hot Vinyasa yoga, a vigorous flow of continuous posture sequences linked together with conscious breaths, as well as Hatha, restorative, and prenatal classes. To help practitioners sink into deep stretches as safely as possible and warm up pockets full of leftover lasagna, YOUnique's studio is heated to a balmy 95–99 degrees with 40% humidity during hot classes, making each 70-minute session a sweaty and detoxifying workout that helps to lengthen and heal the muscles. While the sun salutations, balances, twists, and binds are designed to accommodate all skill levels, instructors can guide beginners into modified poses. Students should load up their yoga pack-mule with plenty of water, a mat, and a towel before heading to each class, though YOUnique Yoga of NWI stocks a surplus available for rent or purchase.
70 Lincoln Way
(Across Central Park)
Valpairaso, IN 46383
65 West 112th Avenue
(Above Coldstone Cremery)
Crown Point, IN 46307
354 E. Lincoln Highway
(Next to Tyler's Tenders)
Schererville, IN 46375