Hotel at a Glance: Avenue Plaza Resort
Set away from Bourbon Street, New Orleans’s Garden District is a quiet neighborhood filled with historical Southern architecture. According to Fodor’s, it boasts “some of the most beautiful homes in the city,” some of which are open for tours. The Avenue Plaza Resort is also located here; it features condo-style accommodations with fully equipped kitchens and spacious seating areas. Restaurants and antique shops are within walking distance, and the St. Charles streetcar located across the street can take you to the city’s top tourist attractions.
- **Distance to the French Quarter: 2 miles, or a 10-minute ride on the St. Charles streetcar
- Dine in: Mr. John's serves USDA prime beef steaks and Italian seafood specialties.
- See alligators on the Mississippi: Take a swamp boat tour down the Mississippi River, where you can see alligators, snakes, waterfowl, and ancient cypresses
- Go swimming: The hotel’s outdoor pool is located in a lush courtyard surrounded by shady trees and water fountains
- Tour a haunted house: The hotel offers free tours of the Ashley House next door, which housed prisoners during the Civil War.
- Get a view of the city: The hotel has a rooftop sundeck.
New Orleans’s Garden District: Quiet Residential Neighborhood with Antebellum Mansions and Antique Shops
In 2011, Travel + Leisure named New Orleans’s Garden District one of the 10 most beautiful neighborhoods in America. In the 1840s, well-to-do Americans began building Greek Revival and Italianate style mansions up and down its tree-lined streets. A walk through the neighborhood reveals Victorian fronts, cast-iron fences, and sweeping front porches. Most of the properties are surrounded by the English-style gardens that gave the district its name, and they stay in bloom year-round. It’s been the setting for several novels, including Anne Rice’s Witching Hour series.
The Garden District also has some charming shopping and dining spots. At the southern end of the neighborhood, Magazine Street is lined with French bistros, art galleries, and antique shops. Several of New Orleans’s top historical sites are also within walking distance, including Lafayette Cemetery No. 1, and the Ogden Museum of Southern Art.
_No-shows will be charged total Groupon rate; no refunds, rescheduling, or rebooking allowed. Read the Fine Print for important info on offer details and other restrictions._
“Enjoyed our stay very much!!”
2111 Saint Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA 70130