Hotel at a Glance: Fox Ridge Resort, A Red Jacket Resort
Fox Ridge Resort is a family-friendly destination set on 30 acres of rolling countryside just outside White Mountain National Forest. Some options also include passes to Kahuna Laguna water park, located 1/2 mile from the resort.
- Start the day right with a hearty breakfast in the Glen Ellis Breakfast Room.
- Sip a smoothie by the outdoor pool courtesy of the poolside cabana bar.
- Unwind at your leisure in the indoor heated pool and jacuzzi.
- Play putt-putt at the 9-hole mini-golf course.
- Explore the great outdoors: There's plenty of hiking, biking, horseback riding, and whitewater rafting to be had in the nearby White Mountains.
White Mountains, New Hampshire: Soaring Peaks Surrounded by Historical New England Towns
There are 48 peaks that rise more than 4,000 feet in the White Mountains National Forest, making them New England’s tallest mountains. The 6,288-foot summit of Mount Washington is the tallest in the entire Northeast; from the top, you can get amazing views of New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, and, on especially clear days, Canada. To get to the top, you can either attempt the challenging hike up or take a scenic drive along the Mount Washington Auto Road. For a less daunting climb, there’s Crawford Notch State Park, where you can hike the Mount Willard trail. It climbs 3.9 miles to a summit with gorgeous vistas. Some ski resorts also make their home in the park, including the popular Wildcat Mountain near Mount Washington.
A handful of small historical towns dot the surrounding lowlands, and they all serve as excellent gateways to rugged adventure in the national forest. Many became popular vacation spots during the railroad era, when Bostonians and New Yorkers flocked here to exchange stifling city streets for mountain air. North Conway is a good example; today it's known just as much for its parks as it is for its outlet shops.