In the botanical world, reproduction centers mainly on the dispersal of pollen via insects and sneezing. Explore less allergy-inducing alternatives with today's Groupon: for $9, you get one adult admission to the Museum of Sex on 5th Avenue (an $18 value). You must be 18 years or older to be admitted to the museum.
The Museum of Sex is devoted to the cross-cultural and historical study of human sexuality. The permanent collection houses more than 15,000 artifacts and chronicles the expression of our pheromones in art, photography, clothing and costumes, ultra-modern technology, and historical ephemera. Instead of ignoring, repressing, burning, or flagellating these items, the museum celebrates and studies them in an open-minded, intellectual, and titter-free environment. Current exhibits include Action: Sex and the Moving Image, which traces the way sexual imagery has impacted everything from film to advertising, and Rubbers: The Life, History, & Struggle of the Condom, which explores the history of the small but mighty prophylactic and its clumsily unfurled place in modern culture.
While stopping through, be sure to visit the museum's Mosex Store and peruse the purchasable plethora of titillating art, books, toys, and oddities—or indulge in the sensual aphrodisiacs available at the OralFix Aphrodisiac Café. A lusty Almond Mocha Love Bar ($3) goes particularly well with a potent Lucky Devil potion (cinnamon and cardamom with a honey gold crystal rim and an extra shot of saffron; $4.50). After an enlightening visit to the Museum of Sex, you’ll put aside staid notions of baby-delivering storks, as well as the puritanical idea that the human body should only be used to harvest grain and act as catapult ballast.
- We loved this museum since the minute we walked in. Every time we go to NYC we always go to the MOS (Museum of Sex)... This has different sections every year, there are so many things to look for and learn... BUT you must only go if you are NOT a shy person – Veronica-n-Luis, TripAdvisor
- this is a subject that most humans are interested in, and we are not encouraged to ask questions about. I think this museum is important, and fun! – The_Flying_Chef, TripAdvisor
The Museum of Sex
For over a decade, The Museum of Sex has showcased fascinating exhibitions exploring the art, science, and the study of sexuality. From working in partnership with over 100 major cultural institutions, artists, designers, and academics, the Museum's work spans the globe with over 25 exhibitions that range from a commentary on the sexual history of NYC and the history of hardcore imagery to the erotic heritage of China. Exhibits aim to put sex in context with our modern understanding of humanity, while also revealing the sometimes scintillating history of past generations.
- Something for Everyone: The Museum of Sex focuses on sex and sexuality from a variety of different lenses, including art, history, science and culture, on more than three floors.
- Interactive: Not everything in the Museum is behind glass. In fact, the museum features many interactive exhibits, including the Jump For Joy: Bouncy Castle of Breasts by Bompas & Parr.
- Permanent Collections: In addition to rotating exhibitions, the Museum of Sex also showcases artifacts from its collection of over 15,000 artifacts. Guests may take in fine art, historical artifacts and a collection of significant sexually related ephemera. Current featured artifacts include antique hand-powered vibrators, a dress constructed from thousands of condoms and Hugh Hefner’s smoking jacket.
- Don't Miss: At the store of The Museum of Sex, guests can peruse a curated selection of top quality products across various categories to further explore sexuality in a unique and pleasant environment.
Midtown South Central
233 5th Ave.
New York, New York 10016Get Directions