Hungry stomachs are forced to contemplate cooking their own food while our brains are busy plotting ways to make Hollywood starlets fall in love with our ungainly cousins. Quell an insurgent appetite with gourmet fare for $25 with today's Groupon. You get $50 worth of upscale, California wine country–inspired American cuisine and drinks at Sonoma in Uptown Charlotte.
Southern Living says Sonoma's dinner menu blends "a Slow Food philosophy, which focuses on local, organic, peak-season ingredients, with true culinary artistry." Menus change with the seasons; current appetizers include gruyere- and bacon-topped Kobe beef sliders with a side of pommes frites ($9) and a seared sesame-crusted tuna ($10) flanked by a spicy cucumber salad. Main courses such as a leg of venison ($20), a duck breast ($18), and a Kobe beef burger ($10) take aim at the freshest fruits and vegetables in Old MacDonald's inventory. Neptune also sacrifices some denizens to Sonoma's flavorful fare; sup on grilled Atlantic salmon ($16) and grilled sea scallops topped by a pineapple-jalapeño chutney ($18). Salads, sandwiches, and daily specials populate the lunch menu.
Sonoma's lengthy list of wines adds evening elegance like a drinkable diamond flower pinned to the ruby lapel of an edible emerald tuxedo. The flagship foodery of the acclaimed Sonoma Restaurant Group, Sonoma offers complimentary valet parking. It is located adjacent to the North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, making it a prime option for pre-show, post-show, and show-stopping dinners. Sonoma is closed on Sundays.
The Charlotte Business Journal lists Sonoma in its Top Five Restaurant Picks of Charlotte. Gayot also places it on its Top Ten, and Sonoma takes the ninth slot on 10Best. Southern Living magazine and Charlotte magazine recommend it:
- Pierre Bader's flagship oozes modern cool, with ebony tables, blue and green tiles, and a lounge-y bar area. The contemporary American menu, which changes seasonally, is heavy on organic ingredients and pure flavors. The wine list is a delightful romp. – Charlotte
- Sonoma Modern blends a Slow Food philosophy, which focuses on local, organic, peak-season ingredients, with true culinary artistry. The tasting menu proved one of our most exquisitely memorable meals, each course an ode to local producers. The heirloom tomato salad was simple and unforgettable. – Kim Cross, Southern Living
- ...a sophisticated and modern ambience. Its inspiration comes from the wine country of Northern California with its rolling vistas, love of fine wine and casual elegance. – Charlotte Business Journal
- Food was absolutely incredible, unique, fresh and delicious. – OpenTable user who dined on 1/29/2010
- Food preparation and presentation was superb. Server made an excellent suggestion on wine that paired nicely with our selected dishes. Service was attentive and friendly, but not overbearing. All in all, it was a lovely dining experience. – OpenTable user who dined on 1/22/2010