Almost anything can be improved with music, as evidenced by tuba-accompanied balcony serenades, operatic State of the Union addresses, and yodeled bank statements. Tune your ears to the sweet sounds on stage with today’s Groupon: for $21, you get one ticket to see Madagascar Live! at the Stranahan Theater on Heatherdowns Boulevard (a $37 value). Tickets are subject to availability and must be picked up at the Stranahan Theater box office on the same day of performance. Choose from the following three dates:
- Tuesday, February 22, 2011 at 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 23, 2011 at 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 23, 2011 at 7 p.m.
Adapted from the popular animated film, Madagascar Live! brings to life the furry adventures of the familiar cast of on-the-lam zoo animals as they journey back to the African isle of Madagascar. The toe-tapping theatrics follow these well-organized and upwardly mobile critters as they break out of New York's Central Park Zoo and return to their ancestral homeland. The frenetic fusion of music and dance celebrates friendship with original songs, imaginative sets, and vivid costumes, and it will leave audience members clamoring to stage their own inspired midmorning escapes from the carpool lane. Sit back and take in the touring show's visual tapestry of music and movement amid the dramaturgical surroundings of the Stranahan Theater's 2,424-seat space.
- The kids went crazy when the cast started singing "I Like to Move It" a catchy, fun hip-hop song played in the movie. – Kellie B. Gormly, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
- The production makes very creative use of sets and staging - some characters are puppets, some are cardboard cutouts - to cover all that ground and ocean. – Bob Batz Jr., Pittsburgh Post-Gazette